In Peru, they make these delicious pulled chicken sandwiches, sandwiched between egg bread buns….so so good! But there are two problems with this: 1) I’m not in Peru 2) The chicken is mixed with mayo and lemon.
So since I’m not in Peru, I can’t enjoy this delicious combination anyways so I came up with a healthier alternative: mash up your avocado and use it as creamy sauce instead of mayonnaise.
Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- Half of a medium sized avocado
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. of Lemon/Lime juice
- A sprinkle of Olive Oil
- 1/8 cup of chopped red onions
- Mash and mix together
- You can also add a tbsp. of Greek (plain) Yogurt to make it creamier
- Mix in either pulled chicken or tuna
- Enjoy it with some tortilla chips and salsa or even better: make into a sandwich!
For the sandwich:
- Toast two slices of Pumpernickel, Multigrain or Rye bread
- To the creamy avocado sauce and chicken (or tuna) add some chopped spinach.
- Spread evenly on slices of bread
- Add feta cheese and tomato slices
- Cut up some cucumbers to compliment your sassy sandwich as chips!
Avocados are incredibly nutritious! It is one of my favorite super foods, because:
- They contain more potassium than bananas,
- They are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
- This is the same “heat healthy” fatty acid believed to be found in Olive Oil)
- This acid is called “Oleic acid”—this acid has been linked to reduce inflammation and has been shown to have beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer.
- They are loaded with Fiber
- They can also lower cholesterol and Triglyceride levels
- They can also even help you lose weight as they fill you up!
- Also, for example, say instead of using mayo, you can make a healthy creamy avocado and yogurt sauce, decreasing a great unhealthy amount fat and carbs from your meal 🙂
Information taken from Authority Nutrition-“12 Proven Benefits of Avocado”