For my first recipe post, I am going to share my signature #SassyFitLatina dish, my Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Casserole. I have made this recipe many times and have experimented with its ingredients. So far, I think it turns out the best as I describe below. It’s also a perfect healthy dish to take to Pot Lucks! Happy cooking and enjoy!
- 1 medium sized Spaghetti Squash
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 package of ground turkey
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ green pepper
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 2 cups of cheese (I use Skim/Low Fat Mozzarella)
- 1 cup of Tomato Sauce (I use the simplest Tomato & Basil sauce)
*Avoid using mixed sauces with Alfredo
To cut the squash, place it sideways and cut the end (where the stem is). Then place the squash vertically and cut it through the middle. You should end up with two halves of the squash. Scoop the seeds out with your hand or a spoon, leaving a hollow centre. Use a tablespoon of olive oil and drizzle the inside of the squash. You can add salt & pepper, rosemary, oregano, and any other spices.
- Pre-heat the oven at 425 Degrees and bake for 40 minutes (may be longer, depending on the size of the squash).
- Once cooked, take out the squash, turn it and scrape out the spaghetti strands with a fork
- Place the strands in a bowl
- You have the option to make it in to a lasagna casserole or keep the spaghetti as is and add the sauce of your choice.
The prep time is a little long because of cooking the squash but the recipe itself is very easy! It’s also very delicious and you can enjoy it guilt free!
Low Carb Lasagna Casserole:
- In a pan (medium-high heat) add a tablespoon of Olive Oil, onions, and chopped garlic. Let it mince.
- Once the onions and garlic are golden, add the chopped tomatoes
- After 1 minute add the ground turkey and let it cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add the veggies that take longer to cook first (i.e. bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and lastly spinach.
- Then add the tomato sauce and let everything cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- You now have:
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- The Lasagna Sauce
- Spaghetti Squash Strands
- Simply layer these three items as you would a lasagna (Squash, sauce, cheese, squash, etc.)
- You can place it back in the oven or microwave it to let the cheese melt
- Serve and enjoy!